EMBURY NO. 210 SUPREME
COMMISSIONED BY THE WORKS PROJECT ADMINISTRATION (W.P.A.) FOR THE 1936 RURAL ELECTRIFYING ACT ENACTED BY PRESIDENT ROOSEVELT. It was found in a deserted mine in the Mohave Desert.
The Rural Electrification Act of 1936, enacted on May 20, 1936, provided federal loans for the installation of electrical distribution systems to serve isolated rural areas of the United States. The crews, themselves, need Kerosene Lanterns for light and the U.S. government purchased lanterns from Embury and other mfgs. The lanterns them had a ‘badge’ soldered on the fount of the lantern for property identification. The badge on this lantern is copper.
Over time, as electricity was brought to the farms and homes, the majority of Kerosene lanterns were discarded. Same with any of the lanterns that were used by the W.P.A. workers. This is truly a rare and historical find.